Tuesday, June 3, 2008

School Zones

     I am more and more aware of my deep need for quiet and peace, peace and quiet, in the midst of my often chaotic and cacophonous life. In my new commute to church from home - 20 minutes along US 98 with aggressive drivers, confused tourists, ever-present cellphone users, and stop lights every mile or so - a surprise gift has come in the form of .... school zones, of all things! Realizing that schools are nearly done for the academic year, I am hoping to continue my spiritual discipline of slowing down mentally as I traverse each of the three school zones through which I drive from home to church each day. realllllyyyyy ssssllllooowww dddooowwwnnn......
    Similarly, I seek to create space for "school zones"(= sabbath times) on a regular basis at home as well.  My mind is so full and there are so many lists that never end. My prayer is that I will be intentional about seeking the spaces for slowing down that are essential to a healthy spiritual life. Learning to let go. Learning to laugh more. Learning to languish in God's love. Learning to look for and love school zones of all sorts in life. 
   School may be out, but this school of spiritual growth is always "in."
    

No comments: